Artist and Painting
b. 1931 in Limbe. Well educated at the Teacher Training School, the Beaubrun Ardouin College and Lycee Alexandre Petion, he joined the Centre d’Art in 1947 under the auspices of D. Cedor. A hard driving student and innovator, he helped lay the foundation for the Foyer des Arts Plastiques Gallery which fifty artists seceded from the Centre d’Art in 1950. Torn between the musical footsteps of his choir-director and composer father, he left the National Conservatory under Van Tiennen and K. Trow to become artist designer of the Government Educational Dept. at the Audio-Visual Center, where he became Chief of the Graphic Arts Section. Improving his pictorial techniques under V. Pierre-Noel and G. Ramponeau, his portraiture under R. Brachman and B. Klonis in New York City, he returned to Haiti to help found the Brochette Art Gallery and later his own L’Atelier Gallery. In 1958, on a fellowship to Brazil, he was influenced by the simplicity of the line of C. Portinau’s frescos. Nehemy, on his return to Haiti, painted scenes in the airport, El Rancho and Choucoune Hotels. He has been exhibited in the US, Europe and South America and his works hang in many private collections.
Picture ID 023